- 1 Gluten Free Maltsters and Distributors
- 2 Homebrew Sites
- 3 Recipe links
- 4 Facebook Groups
- 5 Blogs and Other Sites
- 6 Books
- 7 Podcasts
- 8 Software
- 9 References
Gluten Free Maltsters and Distributors
Dedicated Gluten Free
|🇺🇸 🇨🇦||Gluten Free Home Brewing||Retailer||Main retail site for North America. Distributes Eckert and Grouse malts, enzymes, in addition to other ingredients and supplies.|
|🇦🇺 🇳🇿||TwøBays Brewing Co.||Distributor, Brewery||Distributes Eckert and Grouse malts in Australia and New Zealand|
|🇦🇺||ALT-Malt Alternate Grain Maltings||Maltster||Australia-based small batch gluten free malts|
|🇬🇧||Alt Grain Co.||Maltster||Millet malt production and sales in the UK|
|🇺🇸||Grouse Malt House||Maltster||Colorado-based dedicated gluten free maltster. Malted millet, buckwheat, corn. Wholesale. Retail sales through distributors.|
|🇺🇸||Eckert Malting||Maltster||California-based dedicated gluten free maltster. Malted rice. Wholesale. Retail sales through distributors.|
|🇦🇷||Maltería Ovunque||Maltster||Argentina-based gluten free maltster. Malted millet, buckwheat, quinoa, corn, sorghum. Sells directly to homebrewers and breweries.|
- Colorado Malting Company (CMC) - Malts red and white proso-millet, buckwheat, and sunflower seeds.
- CMC is not a dedicated gluten free facility, and because they grow and malt barley, there is some risk of cross contamination at the malt house itself (though mitigated by having an "isolated" facility for the gluten free malts).
- Retail sales for CMC are handled by Boulder Fermentation Supply. There is a higher risk of cross contamination at this facility that repackages gluten free malts for homebrewers alongside their gluten-containing products, and Zero Tolerance members have found barley grains in their gluten free CMC grain orders in the past.
- Sugar Creek Malt Co in Indiana (US) lists a small number of limited release malts including corn, rice, buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and acorns. They are primarily maltsters of barley, wheat and rye, and make no claims around gluten free products or handling. The likelihood of cross contamination for the gluten free grains is high.
- American Homebrewers Association
- Homebrew Talk (Gluten Free Brewing)
- Gluten Free Home Brewing
- Zero Tolerance Home Brew Club
- We Got Sick Drinking Gluten Reduced Beers
- Beers Without Barley (UK)
- Birdleg Brew - Gluten Free Brewing in New Zealand
- Gluten Free Beer (Great Taste Less Diarrhea)
Blogs and Other Sites
- Otherwise Brewing Blog
- How To Brew, John Palmer
- A very good overview of beginning brewing knowledge and an excellent introduction to all grain. Does not cover gluten free brewing specifically.
- Brew Better Beer, Emma Christensen
- A section with some good extract gluten free recipes, good for beginners.
- Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book: 52 Seasonal Recipes for Small Batches
- Has recipes and techniques for gluten free beers including using vegetables as a sugar source.
- Home-Brewed Gluten-Free Beer: Make More Than 75 Craft Beer Recipes, Sara McGrath
- Mixed reviews from Zero Tolerance members. This book is not the definitive guide to gluten free brewing but may be an OK introductory source for those who want to tread very lightly into GF brewing territory. Focus is recipes for sorghum syrup and sugar-based (maple syrup, brown sugar, honey) drinks, with a small number of basic recipes for incorporating unmalted gluten free grains (rice, buckwheat and quinoa).
At time of writing there are a limited number of recurring podcasts devoted to gluten-free brewing. There are, however, many podcast episodes featuring gluten-free homebrewers and commercial gluten-free breweries. Additionally there are more general brewing podcasts that cover topics of interest to gluten-free homebrewers.
Podcast episodes featuring gluten-free homebrewing
- Bob Keifer, Four Brewers Podcast (7-May-2018)
- Gluten Free Brewing with Robert Keifer, BeerSmith Podcast #171 (31-May-2018)
- Zero Tolerance Gluten Free Club, Basic Brewing Radio (23-Aug-2018)
- Gluten Free Beer Brian, Experimental Brewing #84 (19-Mar-2020)
- Gluten Free Homebrewing with Rusty Wilson - Homebrewing DIY #47 (23-Jul-2020) -- Rusty Wilson sells partial grain beer kits on Etsy
Gluten Free Beer Podcasts
- Master Brewers Association of America - Technical topics
- Brulosophy - Home Brew Experiments
- BeerSmith - Interviews on various home brew topics
- Basic Brewing Radio / Video - Interviews on various home brew topics
- Experimental Brewing - Drew Beechum and Denny Conn
- Brew Strong - John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff on various home brew topics
- Brewer's Friend - Online recipe builder (free and paid options)